Total Pageviews

Friday, April 5, 2013

People: Taylor Hurt

I'm a senior, my last quarter in college. There are a lot of people who have made a major impact in my life over the past four years and I want to make sure that I tell them how much I Love them. This space is for that, to tell people what I really think, how much I really Love them, while holding nothing back. I'm going to try and do two a day this quarter, making sure to get at least 100 people in. This post is about my bible study leader, past and present, Taylor Hurt. Tay-Tay, I am not really sure where to begin in discussing how you have impacted me. I remember that you first in that you meant so much to Nick Brown. I also remember near the ends of my freshmen year when we had a long talk outside of the plex in the cold of night for hours. I have had the grace of seeing you grow over the years in different ways, something unique for someone older than me. You have lived life through a lot of difficult and easier times of my life, and I am so very thankful for that. From my sophomore year when you were an intern, impacting me indirectly in more ways than I understood or understand, to summer project where you were my action group leader and legitimately pursued and encouraged me, to this year where I feel as though you honestly change and have become such an incredible bible study leader. I have always been a big fan of the way that you lead study and the way that I lead only imitates that, so in many ways the powerful way that you lead has impacted people who will probably never meet you or see you talk or lead at all. That is a legacy, my friend. Even as I type those words, it has taken me a long time, but I am finally at a place such that I am honored and it is my great pleasure to call you my friend. No longer are you just a bible study leader, or just a man, you are my friend, Taylor, and that means that world to me. I have seen a change in your character this year in such an incredible way and I believe that you Love me now more than you used to, evidenced by the fact that while I type and think through the way that you have impacted me, the word 'Love' is among those that come up. There was a time when I never thought that I would be able to say that for you. Ultimately, you have been different things to me at different times in my life, but as it stands now you are one of the people who have impacted me throughout the years and I appreciate that. I pray that God simply gives you joy, an unfettered, unashamed joy. I pray that He continues to grow you in the areas where you are weak and that He allows you the grace of a beautiful, redeemed relationship with those around you whom it can be difficult to Love, like your dad. Something that I have never told you before: I long considered you a man who only pursued those whom you had an obligation to pursue. I never really felt Loved by you except when I was in your bible study. I may have told you that before, but I feel like that perception of you has changed a bit this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment