Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

People: Jon Cook

I'm a senior, my last quarter in college. There are a lot of people who have made a major impact in my life over the past four years and I want to make sure that I tell them how much I Love them. This space is for that, to tell people what I really think, how much I really Love them, while holding nothing back. I'm going to try and do two a day this quarter, making sure to get at least 100 people in. This post is about my roommate, Jon Cook. Cookie Dough, I first met you our freshmen year when you first came to our Anacapa bible study. We have been friends and cohorts ever since. You are one of the most interesting people that I have met, and I do mean that in the best way possible, understand that. We give you a lot of crap at times but in reality it is only because we Love you. You and I, value wise, are perhaps as different as they come, but we are able to get along and talk because of our mutual Love for each other and our Love for Christ. I have seen you grow a lot over the years and that has been actually a huge example of grace to me. I really appreciate that you have always been so willing to give me rides wherever, even if I do not always express it. I appreciate that you share your life with me, even if I know that it is sometimes difficult for you to do so. I have seen your value system grow and change over the years and in reality it still looks a lot different than mine. I feel much more at peace going to sleep with you in the room, that much is certain. For years we were in bible study together, but I feel as though I have not really known you super well until living with you this year and last summer. Despite the difficulties that it has presented, I do consider it grace to have been able to know you in the ilk I do. You are a man of responsibility and gumption. A man with an unquenchable sweet tooth who knows what he is about. That confidence that you exude has rubbed off on me and I do appreciate that so. You are a unique combination of interests and skills and I know that you are destined for greatness. It is really nice to have known you for four years, but it has been true grace to have really known you this year. Seeing your heart and even just the way that you subtly take care of the people that you care about has been an encouragement and I know that you defend me before you ever do the contrary. I pray that God permits you the grace of an open mind, willing to hear sides that are not yours. I pray also that He puts on your heart an emphasis for His timing and His will and His people, so much more so than your own. Something that I have never told you: Although we do not typically agree on everything or hold very similar values, I do Love you for the beautiful things inside of you. I do not really understand you at all, but I am thankful for you. I also want to challenge you to really think through what it looks like to put Christ first and have all of your actions flow out of such a mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment