Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 7, 2015

People: Dane Short

I have been out of college for two years now. A lot of people have impacted me in those two years and I figure that it is high time that I start to tell them how they make me feel. I am focusing primarily on the people that I did not get a chance to thank in college but have left their imprint on me since. I have no target number to compete, but I need to inform people that they have loved. Considering that I have grown less emotional since college, this project does pose its problems; have grace on me please. This post is about my one friend taller than me, Dane Short.
Dane, from the first time that I had the opportunity to spend time with you, I have enjoyed it. The simple fact is that we have so many things that we are able to bond over, from being tall and thin, to cooking, to the intricacies of navigating life as a follower of Jesus. One of the things that I appreciate most about you Dane, is that you give me room to think and you really listen to me ardently and well. It seems like for the duration of our relationship I have had the privilege of mentoring you in many aspects of life, but believe me when i tell you that that has done as much if not more good for me than it has for you. I have so many thoughts and having someone who not only listens but wants to listen to them, is incredibly important and treasured to me. Most relationships I have to work so hard for, but with our relationship, I have been able to develop it with less effort, not because I love you less, but because you are so open to having a relationship with me. Our relationship is robust, and by that I mean that we are able to do and have done many different types of things together. We cook, talk, laugh, worship, watch, play monkeys in the sand, play signs, and many other things. This has helped enhance our relationship so much and kept it from growing stale.
Dane, if I have not done an adequate job yet of making it clear, I really appreciate that I am able to be open with you and especially that you give me a positive space in which to develop my thoughts. Your ability and willingness to listen has taught me a lot about how to listen and how to ask good questions. Additionally, I have tried to listen to you well and that is one of the reasons that we are such good friends: we listen to each other and make that a priority. You are goofy but more than open to being serious when the need arises. Additionally, you are someone that I love to hang out with in groups, partially because of your ability to be goofy or serious and partially because I always feel comfortable around you. Dane, you have transitioned from a young, eager freshman into a leader, even if you are at times reluctant to lead in the traditional sense, you lead in many ways these days, with a humble attitude, fervent spirit, and faithful heart.
Dane, I am so appreciative of your friendship and that you have been willing to take steps when I have lacked in that regard. Thank you for listening to me and having grace on me. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment