Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Graduating...David Haynes

I know several people who are set to graduate in about a month. I would be remiss if I did not take some time to talk about what they mean to me. I have been so impacted by these kids, and I feel that it is high time to tell them. This post is about a man who is so much more than a voice-David Haynes.
David, you have been a constant source of joy to me over the past few years. You have such a diligence about you that I actually wish I had more of. Just seeing you, getting to spend time with and disciple you in how to draw closer to Christ, all the while getting to hang out with you has all contributed to a relationship that I am so thankful for. I have not been a perfect friend or discipler to you and I appreciate the grace that you have shown me in forgiving me of that and forging on. I love your laugh and your diligence in coming to both bible study and being patient in finding a time for discipleship over the past two years. I have seen the growth in you first hand, especially this year and it is so cool to see how vehemently you have pursued relationships this year. You are a man who walks lines so well-the line between Christian community and spending time with non-christians, the line between leader and humble servant, the line between friend and student. You have meant so much to people this year and I have seen you persevere through difficult times, even learning that you will be back here for summer after your fourth year. You are sassy when it is called for, but always loving and you have been a man who owns his weaknesses. You are bashful and I do believe that that is just an extension of your humility. Pride is not a word that I associate with you. Granted, it is a sin that we all struggle with, I see in you a commitment to selflessness and humility that I do not see in many others. It has been amazing as more people have complimented you and told you of the things which I now tell you to see you remain humble. I have completely loved all of the times we have just sat down to a meal together or gone and gotten boba during deltopia. You are also a great listener and I see that in your eyes as well as your reaction.
David, you have been an enormous blessing to me over the past few years, even as those around you have dropped out or burnt out on account of difficulty or increased 'business'. I encourage you to continue to remain humble, even as you pursue righteousness and sanctification. Life will only ever get more difficult and I am excited to see how God grows you to account for the challenge and I know that you are not a man who is going to shy away or back down, and I also encourage you to continue to take joy in the little things that you do. I love you, David.

No comments:

Post a Comment