Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Home?

"When are you heading home?" "You going home this weekend?" "I might be going home for a few weeks this summer."
These are all things that you hear frequently when you live in a college town like I do. It's strange, but I assume that these sentiments come from people who have at least outwardly Pristine families. It is different for me though. Do not get me wrong, I Love my family a lot, but it is not at all cookie cutter. Santa Barbara is more of my home than anywhere else, but I engage in the lingo. I say "I'm going home this weekend," but it is more because "I'm going back to the city that I grew up in" is far too verbose. All this to say, I often feel a tad nomadic, and I have posed the question many times to people-at what point are you no longer going home, and instead going to visit family? Nobody seems to have a clear answer, and perhaps there is not one.
But I feel like the point is that we need reconsider our definition of "home," because for me it is where I live, in a Podunk, ghetto, overcrowded, college town. This is my home, and when I leave, I am never going home, but leaving home. Philosophically though, it is a question as to what "home" actually is-where the heart is? where your family is? wherever the individual chooses? a physical building? I honestly do not have an answer. I just am commenting that all of this lingo seems incorrect to and for me. Some small part of me thinks that home is somewhat impossible to define, especially without a wife and kids. Then you bring in more lingo "oh, he went home home." It all just gets lost on me.
Final thoughts: I am so very glad that I do not belong to this place, not the house that I am writing this in, that is up for debate, but to this plant, this world itself. I was made for somewhere greater, and that is my home, my heavenly home. No matter where I am here I am simply passing through, and I so look forward to the day that I am able to be truly home. Regardless of how you define family, my father will be there, and that is enough for me. I trust Him and if the house that He is preparing for me is half as beautiful as He is, I have much to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. This is so good. I call NorCal home because that's where I grew up, but the area around SB became my home because that's where I've connected with so many people. If home is where the heart is at, then my heart would be all over the place as I have ties to so many places due to people I care about being in different locations now.

    But yes, ultimately our home is our home in heaven, where God has prepared a place for us to welcome us home.

    ReplyDelete