Total Pageviews

Monday, June 6, 2011

What's Next?


I was doing a little cleaning today and I saw something that someone sent me describing how they are going through a transition period in their lives, (it was a married couple) and it was titled, "What's Next?" I think that that is generally a good title of my life right now and of IV right now. There are a lot of people gone from IV already, SBCC kids, people w/o finals, etc. When the new tenants come rolling in this summer and next fall, who knows what the landscape of IV will be both physically because of the construction and socially. We know the staples will still stand: Free Birds, Woodstocks, DP, the beach; the things that make IV IV, will still be there. It is Isla Vista irrespective of the people who happen to inhabit it at any given time. But generally, there are a lot of things still up in the air, especially with lovely California's economy still in the toilet.
When I looked at the paper with the questioningly anxious title, the same words popped into my head: what's next? For IV, for this couple, for UCSB, for UCSB RL, for me? I've always disliked summer more than the year. I have more time, granted, but it also represents the unknown, the absolute necessity to trust in God in a time where I am grasping for straws, grasping for some relatable consistency. I do not know what is next for me. I know that as of Thursday I will be in Santa Monica, writing about Santa Monica Chocolate, looking for a job and reservedly meeting so many new, kind faces. But after that, it is all up in the air. I can only hold close to God, pray, and laugh as others freak out at the utter fright of the unknown. I'm thankful that God has given me a sense of humor about it all, otherwise I would be freaking out with them.
IV Peep of the week: Saw two guys dressed with the naked Borat green thing on friday night. Not a pleasant sight but one indicative of IV nonetheless.
Restaurant of the week: Woody's Bodacious BBQ. Ate there a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Forgot to write about it up until now. I mentioned something about it last week, but great bbq sauce in a world that seems to be losing its taste for the finer bbq sauces in life.
Treats of the week: Made a lot this week on account of a bake sale we were hosting. Made chocolate-covered bananas, cookies and cream rice krispie treats, dessert quesedillas, double-chocolate oreo cakester cookies, oatmeal chocolate-chip cookie muffins, homemade flatbread pizza, brownie pizza. That seems like a lot.
Good Luck and Good Eats
~Cody

No comments:

Post a Comment