Total Pageviews

Monday, April 30, 2012

Symptoms and Disease

I apologize once again that it has been so long since I've blogged. Right now I do not seem to have time, especially considering I'm working as a typist now so all of my free typing time goes to typing those or school papers. This quarter has been crazy already. To start with, I cannot believe that this is week 5 already. My word. I have a nice groove for days mon-thurs, but that does seem to make weeks stream by, and the funny thing is, it's only going to pick up faster, it's only going to get busier as this quarter goes along. I'm excited though-there are plenty of things for me to be excited for: I turn 21 in two days, the NBA playoffs have already started to plenty of action and drama, BotA will start to be a doozy, a movie I'm really very excited for I will be seeing thursday night (friday morning technically), and most of all, living another 5 weeks growing in the knowledge and living in the grace of my Lord. Speaking of, I have been learning a lot more about symptoms and disease lately, specifically of sin. I have been learning that most of our outward sins are not just sins, they are indications of deeper mindsets. For instance, lust is not just lust, it is an indication that we are not fully satisfied in God. Selfishness is not just selfishness, it is a lack of trust that God can and will provide for our needs. These outward sins are symptoms, which, as with physical diseases, suck, but are not the true heart of the problem. People with cancer do not just wish that their symptoms go away, but that their cancer itself goes away, otherwise the symptoms will inevitably return. Likewise, when we notice sins in our lives, outward sins like lusting a lot, or being very jealous, we should not only pray for those symptoms themselves, but also for the disease that is inevitably the cause of our sins. As the pastor at my church reminded us on Sunday, "Sin is not the pursuit of a bad thing, it is the pursuit of a good thing too much." Symptoms and disease. Something else I've realized is the power of not being anxious. Philippians says to not be anxious about anything but pray about everything, to just bring everything to God so that it is not all on our own shoulders. I have been trying to actively do this recently, trying to rely and trust in God so much, and when anxiousness does arise, I just take it right to God. Let me tell you, it is incredible. My heart and mind feel so guarded, in the best way, and there is a peace and a joy that erupt from this practice. It is not just the practice though, just saying words is nothing, but it is God who provides the peace, provides the joy, as a result of supremely trusting Him as a father. Man, I'm excited. IV Conversation Snippet of the week: There are always so many to choose from but this one probably goes to the girl driving the car who I heard say "Yeah, but my nipples are always hard." ~Good Luck and Good Eats

1 comment:

  1. Such a good thought! Removing sinful things doesn't always mean rooting it out and that's so important for us to remember. Thanks for telling it like it is!

    ReplyDelete