Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 10, 2013

7 Days of Baking: Day 3-D.I.Y. Poptarts

Regardless of what toaster streudel would like to think, poptarts are a lot of kids favorite breakfasts.
So, when I saw this recipe for homemade poptarts I knew that I wanted to try to make them. Now, the first thing that you should know is that although these are called D.I.Y. poptarts, they are not poptarts in the traditional sense; they have fewer preservatives and are less processed. In my opinion they are much better than poptarts, but although they definitely take a mold of poptarts, they are more similar to just pastries with filling and possibly icing (I know, I just described poptarts). These also have a much flakier crust
than do regular poptarts, which I think puts them over the edge. The pastry dough is exceptional and the egg mixed in gives it a delicious aroma and taste that is quite nostalgic. This is the second time that I have made this recipe this year, and I have tried them once with icing and once naked. Quite frankly, I think that they are delectable either way, but if you do choose to use icing (I recommend using royal icing) the key is being cautious with how much you put on. These are nice and flaky and the filling is delicious, so you do not want to overdue it with the icing. Another reason that I am in love with this recipe is because it is so easily shareable. Everyone knows what a poptart is, and although these sound super fancy, they aren't actually that difficult to make. I do need to get better at cutting my pastry dough straight though. The only real downside to this recipe is that it is slightly time consuming because you have to let them freeze a couple of times. Other than that though there is nothing negative that I can say against this recipe. I honestly give it 5 out of 5 poptarts, and I highly recommend trying it out for yourself. It is so easy to impress people with.

1 comment:

  1. I am a big fan of this 7-day cooking extravaganza (and of you too, of course) but I definitely want to get to taste some of this wonderfulness.

    ReplyDelete