Total Pageviews

Friday, January 25, 2013

7 Days of Baking: Day 1-Brown-Butter Cannibal Cookies

I lost a bet recently. It was a bet on a basketball game, if you really want to know. Between you and me, I only make bets that I would not mind losing, and the wager was ten dollars. However, upon losing, the winner offered me a deal: pay the ten dollars or bake each day for 7 days. I, of course, chose the latter, having been looking for a reason to do a lot of baking lately anyways. I have also made the decision to blog about each of these days, but I do ask that you bear with me as I am relatively new to this type of cooking blog. So, without further adieu, here is Day 1: Brown-butter Cannibal cookies.
I call them Cannibal cookies because they were stuffed with cookie butter, crunchy cookie butter from Trader Joe's to be exact. I love cookie butter, and I figured that stuffing it in chocolate-chip cookies would be diabolical. I had also never baked with brown butter before; I had tried once, but I lost patience with it. But this time I was determined to use it. So I headed on over to hugs and cookies food blog and I found the cookie butter stuffed chocolate chip cookies, made with Brown butter. I proceeded to make a batch, although it did take me forever because I froze the dough for a little far too long. However, they turned out delicious! My housemates were asking for seconds and everyone who tried them devoured them. I absolutely loved the smell of the rich, dark, almost molasses quality of the brown butter. The cookie butter was, of course, delicious inside it, and the dough was actually pretty easy to work with. I am a big fan of the recipe, and the only change I made was to add a touch of nutmeg (I don't bake without nutmeg). For just starting off the seven days of baking, it was a great recipe and I would definitely advise trying it. The brown butter does take a bit of patience, but believe me, it is totally worth it, as the aroma lasts on through to the cookies, giving them a unique taste. As an added bonus, you do not have to remember to take the butter out eons ahead of time, which can be a pain. I did not use quite as much cookie butter as the recipe calls for out of respect to my housemates, so i would advise definitely trying to use the whole jar next time. The cookies did not spread all that much for me, but the recipe did make about thirty cookies, which I appreciated a lot. All things considered, I give this recipe 4.5 out of 5 stars. I definitely advise trying it. P. S. Sorry about the lack of pictures of the cookies themselves, like I said, I'm new to this. Also, I may not be able to post every day for a week, due to time constraints, but I will try and post as often as possible. Up Next: Strawberry and cream muffins (and this time there will be pictures definitely).

No comments:

Post a Comment