Total Pageviews

Friday, October 12, 2012

Quitting

I have not posted in a while, since around the time I was getting my job at K-Mart. This post is to explain why I'm quitting. Several people will probably not understand why I am quitting a job like the one I have. Let me explain to you why they are confused: I never have to work past 8pm, I am well-liked and the job is fairly easy and within biking distance, it pays over a dollar more than minimum, and I only have classes two days out of the week in total. And yet, here I am with a week left at this job. Do not get me wrong, K-Mart has been very good to me, allowing me to stay in SB during the summer and giving me extra money for ministry purposes. This job was admittedly a blessing from God, and I am the first to admit it. But there are other things that I value more than money, pretty much everything. This is I think the part where people get tripped up the most-this life is not about money, it's not. In fact, it's not about really anything that money can even get me, so I do not see the reason to strive for money. I've always felt that being rich is a crutch to not trusting God. Granted, there are rich people who still trust God, for sure, and many of them use their money very efficiently and very much the way that God wants them to. But for me, God is not calling me to be rich, I'm fairly certain. So the reason I quit my job is so that I have time to really invest in relationships. To be honest, I feel as though I have let a lot of good quality relationships in my life diminish, partly because of a lack of time, but partly because I have just gotten somewhat lazy relationally. Now granted, there is still a long way for me to go to understand relationships and how they work, but the bottom line is that I want true, genuine relationships in mu life more than any other earthly thing. This is what God is calling me to above and beyond K-mart: pursuing people and relationships hardcore. Like really running after them as best I know how, giving up all of my time and money and resources in the process. I want to be a man who gives over everything to others, and not for any other reason but so that God can be glorified through me. For that reason I want to be a man who is kind, encouraging, generous, loving, and a man around who and because of who people feel loved and feel totally comfortable opening up and confiding in. If all this if for my glory it will quickly fade away, as will my kingdom, but if I do this for God's glory, it will have eternal significance. These are desires I have had for the past four years, and maybe even beyond that, but I have always had an attitude that this is a place that God will take me to, whereas now I am in a place where I can act like this now, even though I am not perfect and I will fail, God will have grace to cover over those weaknesses and those failures. He is bigger than me. That is true, and the gospel is the only thing worth striving for. So, essentially my plan is to devote the 22+ hours that I am going to have free a week starting next Friday to people, giving over myself, pouring myself out like a drink. I will trust and rest in God to fill me up when I am poured out, but I will be striving to give each person in my life at least one real relationship. That is why I am quitting: I am too focused on eternity and on my home, I guess. ~Good Luck and Good Eats.

1 comment:

  1. Cody, you are an amazing brother. Just wanted to let you know! :)

    ReplyDelete