Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What time is it?


It's a Tuesday post again, but it's been a busy week, so do not hold me to blame. This post is about time, and what time we orient ourselves to. Not a specific time per say, more of a type of time-past, present, or future. I think that IV is highly future-oriented. The very reason that people are in IV is for the future, they're going to get a degree. People go to class because they are future oriented. They're also future oriented in the short term generally, always looking forward to next weekend, or the next time they have something fun to do to relieve them of the stress of school. Some people are past-oriented, going home a lot on the weekends, unable to move past the friends and experiences of their youth. An equal balance is healthy indeed. To not look too much into the future or past, although those are healthy parts, as explained later, but also to dwell in the present as much as is necessary. I would say that that is where most IV residents are lacking in this regard, dwelling in the present. They are too past or future oriented to enjoy what God has given them in the present. IV would benefit from counting its blessings.
On the other hand, I am way too present-focused. I am not enough focused on the past, and have a tendency to lose touch with my past, and I am not future-focused enough and it causes me to often not accomplish goals on time. Because I like to take life slow; I believe that life is in the small moments. That is what God has showed me this past week. Life is in cooking bacon, life is in feeling light-headed, life is in time spent with God late at night at the beach, life is turning down going to in-n-out to spend time with God, life is in the lakers getting trounced, life is in time spent with people, life is in getting the midterm back with a b on it, life is in getting the midterm back with a d on it, life is in working up the nervous courage to ask a girl out, life is in getting rejected. My point is not to be too future or past centered, but not to leave those out as well. But enjoy the life moments that God gives you. Life is lives in the little moments.
IV peep of the week: this goes as a shout out to the older community in IV. I saw an older black man on a mo-ped, clearly not all there, ask an older white man, clearly homeless, if he needed a ride, then calmly say, nevermind, you do not have a helmet, my mistake. The older white man said, but I do have a helmet (he didn't) and proceeded to chase after the mo-peded black gentleman.
Restaurant of the week: Rosarritos. Cheap burrito specials that come with chips. Rare but delicious in IV.
Treats of the week: Let's see, made another batch of pumpkin spice and everything nice cookies, made chocolate peppermint bark and triple layer cookies and cream bark, bacon rings, bacon chocolate cake, and bacon mac and cheese pie, made cornbread. I think that's about it.
Good Luck and Good Eats
~Cody

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, bacon!
    Yeah, I tend to go between past, present, and future. I feel more rushed when I focus on my future, and I slow down when I focus on the present.

    ReplyDelete