Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 14, 2009


New Food BlogIt has been a while since I have posted any food blogs on the internet, a long while. Many people ask me about them, and there are few reasons why I do not do them anymore, but it is summertime, the perfect time to food blog. So this blog is about various food odds-and-ends. First off, one of the best burger combo around.I’m sure that if any of you live in Glendora or the surrounding area you know of Marie Calendar’s and the vast array of pies available there. Or perhaps you know of the happy hour there and how you can get cheap booze and free food. But I doubt you know of their burger combo. Marie’s burger combo consists of a burger, fries, and a slice of pie-drinks are extra if that’s your fancy. All three items are for just $7.99. Now this is a deal because ordinarily a slice of Marie’s famous pies run around half that. At the time I got this I was in the need of a really good burger, but I didn’t have high expectations for Marie’s burgers because they had a small burger selection. However, my low expectations were proven wrong. This was the best burger I have had in a really long time. The patty had more flavor than most burgers’ ingredients combined. It didn’t come with anything fancy-no avocado, or awesome blossom strings, or anything like that, but it was a solid American burger. The fries were fries, but they were better than most restaurants’ fries in my opinion. The slice of pie I got was chocolate satin. It was obviously bomb and the upgrade to the chocolate pie crust was also a very unexpectedly tasty addition. The whole meal was one of the best I’ve had in a while, and it was easily one of the cheapest items on the menu. I would give the whole meal 4.5 out of 5 pie tins. If you’re in the mood for a good burger and fries, but also want some bomb pie all for cheap, go Marie’s. The service was good, not great, but as good as you’ll find anywhere else. Also the atmosphere is nice and cozy and it is not too crowded.Keeping on the topic of burgers, why does Carl’s Jr. find it necessary to use scantily-clad women to advertise all of its new menu items? I like most of their burgers, including their recently returning Hawaiian Burger. However, what I don’t like is that they always find the need to use girls in bikinis to advertise this. I’ve blogged on this before, and I really find it unnecessary. If Carl’s lowered its prices and advertised a neat little slogan like “Quality Burgers for Less” or “Recession Burgers” or something they would have my respect rather than stooping to using sex to sell cheeseburgers.

Trends Section:I’m finding more and more candies and other goodies (most recently sour patch kids and a new stride gum flavor) that have two flavors. Like it’ll start out sour then get sweet or something. This also coincides with my other observational food trend: the emergence of Strawberry Lemonade. Years ago every place sold pink Lemonade and strawberry lemonade was a rare delicacy. The pink was for color, not flavor. Fast forward to 2009 and suddenly you can find strawberry, cranberry, pomegranate, and even hard lemonade everywhere. I find it pretty funny that America no longer can focus on just one flavor, but now needs two to satisfy its taste buds. Has America begun to grow tired of typical candy and drink flavors that now it demands two? Soon we’ll start to see more flavor-injected food, like steaks and more combining of flavors. It’s the American way.

Competition:I think that KFC’s blatant attack on Subway in its recent commercials is very misguided. First off, KFC isn’t losing as many customers to Subway as it is to its bland food and hormone-shot up chicken. Second off, a few pieces of chicken are not nearly worth the five dollars as a foot-long of sandwich with whatever you like on it. Quite frankly I love Subway’s five dollar foot long campaign and I think that it is a low-blow of KFC to attack subways prices when KFC needs to improve its own food first.

~Good Luck and Good Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment